Monday, June 9, 2014

Hit and run :(

Well, this week is starting off just flippin' perfect.

So this morning, I was driving to work using a back road many people take to avoid traffic. It's a rich neighborhood with a lot of hills and curves. The speed limit is 25 but it's common for people to go 45 (shame, shame), however, if you go less than 35, you're gonna get run over. 

Anyway, I was driving along on this two-lane road when, out of nowhere, this car going the opposite direction decided to just cross over the yellow line and ram right into me, head on. The initial shock caused me to slam on my breaks, scream and then just sit there stunned for about 20 seconds. Once I realized what had happened and my ears stopped ringing, I instinctively looked to my outside mirror to see the other car. 

But the damn mirror was gone. And so was my driver's side window, totally shattered. And my head hurt quite a bit.

A man drove up to me and asked if I was okay. I was holding my head and proclaimed, "I think so .... do you see the other driver?"

He looked around, puzzled. "No ... where did they go?"

That was a good damn question. 

My mind started to race and I came to the awful conclusion that maybe the other driver went over one of the embankments. That would have certainly resulted in a death. I started to cry.

At this point I had called 911. 

While I was speaking to the operator, another car pulled up and parked in a driveway. Two ladies got out and rushed over to me, saying they had seen the whole thing and only drove a little ways to turn back around. Once an officer arrived, I told him my story. He also got the witnesses' names and statements, both in my favor. Apparently the lady had almost them but succeeded in hitting me.

An ambulance arrived to check me out. I had some minor cuts on my hand. They removed the glass shards, cleaned up the blood and then took my blood pressure. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of 144/121, a very high number.

The officer pulled me aside to speak. He said that the lady's husband called in the accident. Apparently she lived nearby in the rich neighborhood and simply drove home after plowing into me. How nice.

The tow truck came to get my car, as well as a family member to pick me up. I received no ticket.

On my way home, I got a call from the cop. He had spoken with the lady who hit me. I found out the following:

  • The woman was 75 years old, so maybe a little too old to be driving
  • She was very confused and disoriented (maybe drunk)
  • She thought she was at the country club (?!)
  • She thought I was going the same direction as her
  • She thought I was the one who fled the scene
Oh boy.

The cop told me to go to the doctor if I felt any pain and to give the lady's insurance company a call to give them my side of the story.

It wasn't until about three hours after the accident that I started to feel pain. My head was killing me and my left arm felt like I had worked out for a million hours.

I went to the doctor.

He concluded that it was likely I hit my head that hit my window, causing it to shatter, especially if the lady was going 45 mph. It didn't dawn on me that I could have hit my head, but it all made sense.

I was prescribed some pain medication and a muscle relaxer. 

I hesitated to take the pain meds because I'm in the middle of trying to get pregnant, but I did as I was told since the pain was a little too much to bare.

What a way to start my week.


No comments:

Post a Comment